Announcements

Forum >> Announcements >> Commitment to Competitive Play   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@amalric
You're free to play whoever you want in the cup. No one's trying to get you banned. But do you really not grasp that some people find what I originally posted incredibly unfair & beyond inconsiderate? "throwing entire series vs. certain teams in group stage. After using their monster D1 lineups to sweep other teams in the very same cup group." A lot of people find that makes a mockery of the cup & ruins their enjoyment. While others are ok with it. The "I'm going to do what's best for me regardless of how it impacts anyone else" type attitude. Anyway, all I was saying is that the team that you're proud to bash at least puts out an equally bad lineup vs. everyone. How is that disputable?

Answering your "Do you think they found that fair" part... All teams in that division faced the same lineup, right? If so, it's much more fair than some other leagues. Where a team plays their final series vs. Team X using all their best players. Then finishes the season vs. Team Y using a lineup of severely undeveloped prospects.

Look I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the worst ever team. I'm just saying that some of those throwing stones also behave in ways that ruin the fun of others as well. Sometimes to an even bigger extent / impact (in the opinion of some).

Have to admit the "cajones to say it" part of your message makes me sad. Like it's somehow tough and macho and admirable to punch down & publicly ridicule. Hope I'm misreading that. Look, why not just contact Steve directly? Plus the whole rules thing says: "If you believe another club is cheating, please PM (private message via BB mail) the admin. We would request that you don't post allegations of cheating or other types of misconduct on the forum."
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Didn't mean for my last post to come off as harshly as it maybe does, so apologies to alarmic7. Same thing with my first post & metalbat13.

Anyway let's agree to disagree, or whatever. And I'll try bow out of this thread for good hopefully :P
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Some good comments from the freshmen and the seniors.

I guess I'd say that if you aint been in the lowbie leagues like LL6, then there isn't much of a frame of reference, so go easy on them ballclubs, some of those leagues are tough to "handicap" and you do get stuck down there. Then you might have multiple promotions afterwards and they set the world alight with a mini competitive dynasty for a few seasons.

I got relegated back in 2036 chasing that damn cup, going to the championship round. Have won everything but the cup. Charge it (the relegation) to the game.

Updated Monday, July 19 2021 @ 12:19:11 pm PDT
Chicken Fillet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What about just having a Super Cup Tournament right after the season ends, instead? That way nobody gets hurt during the season and we can all just play for fun with our best lineups, and maybe one last time with our older players.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the trade-offs the Cup introduces to the season. I don't really see it as an issue that some people try harder than others to compete.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
shikago and I exchanged a few very pleasant PMs, and we're all good. What looks like differences of opinion often turns out to be a good deal less so after a good discussion.

As for this season's Cup, New York went down 1-3 to a LLVI team with very average pitching, despite fielding a very strong lineup and our 2-5 pitchers. Maybe we're just not that good!
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
To add to Ced's very legitimate note on LL6 teams: It is very hard to even out things down there, and LL6 is easily the most lopsided place, because sometimes there's just one team that is spiralling and not recovering, and then they can recover for 3 games and ruin one team's season.

Last season, when inter-divisional play ended, I was the only team in the entire East that was above 500, and I was 16 runs above. Last place in the West would've been 2nd in the East, basically. It's difficult, if not likely impossible, to police to ensure even competition. In the higher leagues, at least most teams have some semblance of structure.

That's baseball, that's life sometimes. Deliberately jettisoning everything for seemingly no reason that is deliberate intent to schew competition, as is (I'd argue) staying in LL6 with a team of all-40+-years old. Fielding some developing players in the cup is... Also deliberate, but at least it's done with a goal of league competitiveness down the line.
And the cup really is weird. My LL6 team went 2-2 with a Legends team a couple of seasons back, then last season, while improving across the board, I fell 1-11 in the cup right out the gate. The cup is fun, but it is incredibly unpredictable. :D
GM-Paradox

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
https://brokenbat.org/game/4897515

Is this margin of victory some type of record?
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
My momma always said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
GM-Paradox

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Looks like division VI-27 just got a lot harder with the addition of a great team builder taking over a franchise....a welcome change from the former P.P. franchise

Updated Wednesday, May 31 2023 @ 5:19:37 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |