Help

Forum >> Help >> Shortstop help   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I have three shortstops that I’m having trouble deciding what to do with them.
Dak Ho Yoon (http://brokenbat.org/player/128470) He has been my shortstop for four years now and has hit above .260 and had back to back double digit home run seasons the past two years. Also, he’s had about a .968 fielding percentage from the last two and a half years. He is 29 years old which means he will most likely start declining for the next few years. I’m also paying him 2 million dollars for a player that won’t be effective when we start contending in a couple of years.
Josh Stephens (http://brokenbat.org/player/143602) The second player that I can use was my 10th round pick in 2029. He is only 25 years old and has hit .280 in limited action. He does need some time to meet his solid fielding scouting report, but does already have the lower case ss tag. He does lack a positive hitting comment which might limit has upside.
Katzumi Otsuki (http://brokenbat.org/player/156459) My last candidate was a recent waiver claim. Just like the other two players, he is a shortstop that is a “very good hitter” and 24 years old. The problems is he doesn’t have any shortstop experience and is the least experience of the shortstops and has the worst defensive upside of the bunch.

Updated Monday, September 11 2017 @ 10:59:23 am PDT
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You're going to want a stud defensive SS for all those pitchers you have in your minors so what I would do if I were you is trade me a couple of your 13POT pitchers for this guy and/or this guy. Since we can't do that though, I think it's a wash with either of your guys. Neither one are great defensively but you're not promoting this season so flip a coin and run with that guy.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I would cut Dak Ho Yoon and platoon Josh Stephens and Katsumi Otsuka at SS. It'll be difficult with Otsuki playing SS with no experience, but it'll be worth it.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
They all have 15 range. :(

As for what to do, I think the advice by dsz and Pig is solid.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I disagree with all of the above advice.
SS is a very important defensive position.
For starters Otsuka is not a SS period, give up on making him one.

If you really want Stephens to be your SS you should have played him in AAA this season to get his "SS" or start playing him everyday now. Platooning him is unnecessary because he hits the same vs. right or left pitching. If you decide on him, he is a little low on range for SS but will be otherwise solid for 5-6 seasons in the lower leagues.

Ho Yoon: best option to win right now. He has three more solid seasons which gives you time to find a real SS of the future with high fielding,range above 16 and a good arm (that can hit over .200) Downside is he costs a little more if money is an issue. Also he hits the same vs. left or right pitching.

If it were me Yoon would play and I'd be looking very hard for a young replacement and/or a back up from free agents that can play excellent D when Yoon is injured etc. Why train another sub par range SS? You'll have this issue forever.

Just my opinion.
Cheers.
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I decided to cut Yoon and platoon with the other two players to see how they preform. Thanks for the advice.

Previous Page | Show All |