Help

Forum >> Help >> Philosophies of Staffing   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I always thought that meant "can come in anytime" lol. Of course I only use it for SP and SS anyway.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
In a close game, my SETs come in right after the SP regardless of inning. I don't like the idea of not using my best.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I have 3 of the top 10 in IP in the League. My SP are expected to go 6-7 every time, but since I changed my SETS to 5th inning rather than 7th, they now have twice the IP as my MR's. Though there has been some shuffling in the last season or so, MR's used to be the linchpins of my staff.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have my SP all set to pitch 125+ pitches. Yet I usually replace my SP after the first inning with my MR and LR. Then because the MR/LR are awful too I replace them after the 2nd inning with RHS/LHS. And so it goes until all the pitchers have had a chance to get completely beaned and we lose by 15 runs.

I thought I had turned my woeful pitching around a few seasons ago when I focused on it in the draft. In 2052 I drafted a 14pot in Santana with a nice build, but alas he will likely have only a mediocre career.

I got a really nice scouting report in Wallace, but he never popped in POT and withered on the vine in terms of development at 97. Yet I guess he is my ace.

I hit the jackpot when I got a 35 claimer in Overstreet a few seasons ago. I was encouraged last season when he got his ERA under 6.50. Now that it is back up over that, I wonder if he will have a place on the team.

I have brought up all the kids to finish out this lost season and will have to hope that the draft will be kind to me next season.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I experimented with "normal" SP hooks last season and it was a disaster. I now go with 8 for my "trusted" pitchers, which is sometimes as low as 2 (Olivera, Corral) and is currently all 5 starters, since there are year to year variances and I ride the hot hand and the other guys are all having good years. Anyway, often my guys might get tagged for 2-3 early runs and settle in. Hooks ruin that and replace a guy who can settle in with someone who is a long reliever.

Correct me if I am wrong, but most staffs squishiest pitcher is the long reliever. If they continue to struggle, then in the 5th my better group of pitchers, MR or SETs come in.

Though usage varies a bit: #4 Moreno (who struggles the most to get to his PC with 139 1/3 IP) and #5 Nunez (with 84 2/3 IP), Corral, Olivera, Alderman, Moreno and Nunez have started 111 of 117 games, and average nearly 7 innings per start. As far as pitch counts, that is set to 7 pitches per 1 stamina, for everyone. I have not had much success getting results reducing it, on the theory that the most damage is toward end of pitchers stamina. And short hook - get the game to the bullpen hasnt worked for me either. I think my staff is pretty balanced, but long outings from SP works better for me.

Yea, its a process in building a staff. I have had more than a few fails since I started my 5 season rebuild in 2051.

1. Corral - 2055 Waiver Signing
2. Olivera - (#1-2047) - drafted by someone else
3. Alderman - 2051 Waiver Signing
4. Moreno - (#1 - 2051)
5. Nunez - 2052 Waiver Signing

As far as drafting, it is absolutely possible to be lucky/unlucky, but I dont believe it is a good strategy to over emphasize a position. I did actually select pitcher pool #1-#2 in 2051. While I got two good prospects in Moreno and Coronado, Moreno's career has been ok but not a star turn at all, and Coronado has some problems finding the plate AND those were the only 2 good pitchers on both boards, so that close to getting nothing. Trying to do it again in 2054 - well everyones been cut from that year. Good SP is hard to find anywhere.

Updated Tuesday, September 20 2022 @ 11:28:02 am PDT
todd

Wellington Phoenix
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I try not getting to drop any pitchers until I get a decent pitch count. If I have a guy with an 8.0 ERA, yet he's only pitched 25 innings, I'm a little wary on dropping him yet. Too many times i've seen a pitcher straighten himself out after a decent amount of innings, or see a guy I dropped prematurely having a banner year for some other team. Of course its a double edged sword, sometimes the guy your holding on to goes from bad to worst.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I try to find the right guys and have some patience with them. Not my style to see who can do the most in 25 AB/25 Innings or less. Of course my signings almost always skew towards players that have some SI to gain or have not had much usage.

https://brokenbat.org/player/205857

Never know the details of a release, could be salary, dont know. He was used very little in 2054 and pitched poorly in 10 innings in 2055. I picked him up and here I am.
robinsmd

Loveland Tigers
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
Can someone clarify the order of which the AI brings in the bullpen (all else being equal)… is it Closer, SET1, SET2, RHS, LHS, MR1, MR2, LR1, LR2?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure there is an explicit ordering between SET1 and SET2 for instance, but otherwise your ordering is correct for close games.

Closer will usually only come in for save situations.

In blow out, the LRS and MRS will come in to mop up. I think it basically runs in reverse priority for mop up.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Which reliever the AI brings in depends on the situation (save, close, excess pitch)--see the pitching algorithm section of the game manual. Your management settings also factor in by telling the AI which pitchers are available in the current situations---then the algorithm is used to select amongst the available.

its a bit to figure, but AI seems to work as the manual details.

Previous Page | Show All |