Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Mommy, Where Do Ballplayers Come From?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
^^^interesting, JJ. I think the great draft of '41 skews your numbers a bit, but maybe just by adding 3 or so on the front end.

The Thunder's numbers remain pretty much unchanged:
14,6(4,2) and 13,7(4,3)

Even more interesting is going back 20 seasons:
(2024) 7,13(9,4)

I still have roughly the same "older" player signings to fill in the blanks, but you see more younger claims being developed and less reliance on the draft.

Back then, going through waivers was a bit like going through manager lists today. You would literally scout players (didn't Hasel or someone have a scouting spreadsheet linked?). Couple that with a smaller user base and you have more clubs built through waivers (guessing, but mostly true imo).
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Great idea to bump and compare!

The Moo Cows in 2038: 4, 15(1/14), 1(0/1)

The Moo Cows in 2044: 3, 17(6/11), 0

Same bag of tricks. We barely draft at all anymore. I'd be curious to find other teams with a similar profile. I have a hunch about a few because I feel like I scout their players a lot through waivers.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
I did it with 2044 stats:

NP's: 6 , 5 (4,1) , 0
P's: 1 , 5 (5) , 3 (3)

Seems about right, I rebuilt the team with an eye on the future so I've spent most of my time drafting guys <26. Some of the claims were 1 claimers.

I've been drafting heavy and expect the home growns to rise, but it takes a little time. I'm also willing to start spending money in FA now so a few older guys trickling in wouldn't surprise me either.

My lone FA success story by this criteria is Jose Solis:
http://brokenbat.org/player/165300
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@JoihnnyBoi

You have done very well with waivers lately (and are breaking my heart). You now got Wang on top of Alfaro (who I particularly wanted) and D Owen. All this after doing so well in the last couple seasons. Pinto alone is a game changer. I imagine you will be climbing the ranks shortly.

*hat tip*
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The only guy I got this off season was a borderline POT 12 prospect who no one else wanted... I don't have high hopes :(
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Hayseed! And I wasn’t complaining I’m very content with the waiver claims I’ve picked up over the seasons. I meant FA in the true sense of the word, picking up a “free agent”

I do think I’m in a tough branch of broken bat overall, but there’s probably always a bias for that. We’ve ticked up to 11 out of 12 active players now too, so have to keep grinding it out.
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Hurstdm mut be a journalist professional with the clever click bait topics
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I just read the post about the all home-grown challenge, and that's something I'm considering trying in the future to keep my team going with more hands-off management. So I thought I'd take a look at the breakdown of my current ML roster to see how competitive a team like this could be.

Just for fun, I'll divide the players into those drafted and those acquired as free agents, sorted by the probability of winning the claim:

100%: Free agent signings and 1-claimers. Nobody else wanted these guys!
20-50%: 2-5 claims, guys with a highish probability of winning the claim.
5-20%: 6-20 claims, potentially under-the-radar waiver claims, but require a lot of luck to get them.
0-5%: 21-756 claims, in-demand lottery tickets with a very low win probability.

Pitchers:

Draft: 5 - Lara, Beattie, Singletary, Benítez, Simpson
100%: 0
20-50%: 3 - Ramirez (2 claims), Underwood (3), Washburn (3)
5-20%: 4 - Meza (11), Ebert (8), Sohn (12), Richardson (12)
0-5%: 1 - Oshima (41)

Hitters:

Draft: 8 - Akahoshi, Gallardo, Correa, McNeely, Galli, Slater, Feliciano, Herrera (inherited!)
100%: 3 - Garcia, Harvey, Larkin
20-50%: 4 - Castillo (3), Pagan (2), Yun (5), Arguello (3)
5-20%: 0
0-5%: 2 - Mena (24), Griffiths (27)

13 players drafted and 17 acquired. I've been around for 13 seasons, so it seems that Rock's estimate of 1.25 draftees per season is about right. Looking back over my drafts, there are far more players on other teams than my own, but in my opinion only a small handful are or will be decent major-leaguers, and I don't regret any of the cuts.

Overall, my roster is almost exactly half dumb luck (draft and 0-5% waiver lotto tickets), and half small/medium (5-100%) FA claims. By eye both groups have roughly the same value to my team, with each having a similar mix of key performers, bench players, and youngsters. Others can compare my draftees with their own to decide how lucky I've been in the draft - but it's pretty clear that I wouldn't have made it to Legends and the #1 ranking without using both the draft and free agency to their maximum.

In the spirit of the OP, I'll also add that of the FAs/waivers only Yun (32yo) and Larkin (33yo) were acquired as ML-ready players. The rest came up through our minor league system, with Castillo (25yo) being the next oldest when acquired.

Updated Thursday, December 24 2020 @ 5:50:47 am PST
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@tamale

thank you for the analysis...if i can ask a follow-up, are your dumb lucks (drafts & lottery) getting the most plate appearances and innings pitched?

and your closing comment about only 2 ready made major leaguers also is illuminating--to compete at top levels one needs to judge potential and be patient

one other point---you did a lot of work to get up to Legends! I see you in the forums and on discords most frequently. Indeed, you earned you way, congrats!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
tamale- Interesting overview.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |