Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Why is there a scouting report for speed?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
the speed skill rarely changes during a player's career, right?

so why is there a scouting report re: speed. Isn't that skill fixed and thus, why waste space in the scouting report?
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Why is there scouting only when control could be *beep*ty and not for when it could be amazing?
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I seem to recall that in the past, player skills weren't visible prior to drafting. All you could see was the scouting report, so you needed more info from it than you do today.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Exactly. In the old draft format you couldn't see the actual abilities (or stats), only the scout report. The speed report was the only thing that gave you a hint about the player's Range.
Midas Mulligan

Goldsboro Goldbugs
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
On the flipside, you have no idea about a pitcher's changeup. It's a wild card that will reveal itself at length.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
sorry, i guess i needed to say batter's speed; player's speed can be mistaken for pitch speed (velocity)

thanks for the answers...it seems the batter's speed scouting report is useful only during the draft when owners are in a rush to select players before the computer gives the player to another team--seconds count: i read the report and only glance at the skills index for speed, range, arm & potential (yeah, Rock, i should look at amateur stats too, but i don't)

Updated Friday, August 26 2022 @ 11:55:17 pm PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well different people value speed differently. I dont care about speed unless someone is skilled at stealing bases. But many want a fast team to take the extra base, have a higher chance to score on sacrifice flies and so on.

Its my view speed does not help anyone "leg" out a hit or make it less likely they will hit into a double play, so to me its a waste unless the above, SB.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think Ken was saying he doesn't value speed. Just that you can now see that just by clicking on the player. In the old draft format you could not. But end of the day its still a nice piece of flavor text. Plus it may still give you some hints about guys who are over/under rated.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
thanks again Rock...yes, running speed is valuable i agree...

but the scouting report is rendered superfluous by displaying the speed skill index, and it rarely changes during a player's career

so why not use the space to report on other potentials?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There isn't really any space constraint on the scouting report. It could be twice a long with no issues. So I don't see there being any issue with speed still being there. It just adds more flavor.

In terms of things like PD and BC not being in the report, that was a design decision by Steve. So that we don't have perfect knowledge and need to evaluate the players over time.

Speed being in the report doesn't have any impact on PD or BC not being in the report. Those are unrelated decision.

Previous Page | Show All |