Help

Forum >> Help >> Left handed middle infield... say what??   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@mjhack In response to Motko's question you said:

In real games, second baseman would make the easy play at first instead of attempting to throw runner out at third. Plus , turning a double play would need to be quite the acrobat if lefthanded.

Not sure how else to read that response. If you intended to say "sometimes" the 2B throws to 1st instead of 3rd, then it was a pretty irrelevant response to the question.

As I have explained several times. It is all situational.

Runner on 3rd (and two outs) >>> Runner on 1st and 2nd > Runner on 1st and 3rd >>> Runner on 2nd and 3rd.

So the DP is best. Then getting out the lead runner. Then throwing to 2nd and missing the DP. You would never throw to 1st base unless you can't get anyone else out (or its 2 outs already). Leaving two runners in scoring position is the worst possible outcome.

Updated Sunday, November 12 2017 @ 7:43:22 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@nobodyjones I've beaten the throw to first from right handed SS's hundreds of times.

Plus OFs usually don't throw correctly in the infield. They are used to making long hard throws and they are usually inefficient in their release. And if he didn't frequently play SS, he would not have a good feel for timing. That comes with experience. Throwing is done differently at pretty much every position in baseball. It isn't really interchangeable.

Updated Sunday, November 12 2017 @ 7:40:57 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

The original question then spun up the conversation was Motko asking if lefty 2B had an advantage throwing to 3B, and mjhack saying that 2B doesn't ever throw to 3B.

I'm not sure how you don't think it's relevant to talk about force outs at third when there's a question about players getting advantages for force outs at third.

My point is really simply--there shouldn't be any thrown force outs to third, period. It virtually never happens in major league games and should be taken out of the AI. My guess would be it occurs at a similar frequency as triple plays. (EDIT--I just looked up triple plays. MLB has averaged about 5 a season, which is about twice what I would have guessed. That being the case, I bet there are more triple plays than force throws to third. Admittedly, that is just a guess.)

I've now gone through the first half of the 2017 season for the Royals. There were 50 instances of runners on first and second with less than 2 outs where a batter hit a grounder to an infielder. In none of those plays were throws made to third for a force out. Zero.

Updated Sunday, November 12 2017 @ 9:13:08 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wrong. It does happen. Maybe the Royals just suck. Just stupid to say it should never happen in the game, or that it never happens in the majors.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

It virtually never happens in major league games and should be taken out of the AI.

I cut people slack when English isn't their first language, but I'm fairly sure that doesn't apply to you. That quote is directly above your post yet you still continue to get it wrong. Maybe you don't know what the word virtually means.

By the way, for the Royals games I am looking at the entire game, not just the Royals defense or offense. That means it hasn't happened by either team during those 81 games. Since you are so certain it happens somewhat regularly, why don't you provide 5 examples during the 2017 season by any team? My bet is there aren't that many for the entire season.

They almost never happen, so they shouldn't happen here either.

Updated Sunday, November 12 2017 @ 11:19:31 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL, I have no idea what you are using for your data source, but I'm certainly not going to waste hours of my own time just to try and teach some moron with a learning disability.

For everyone else who doesn't seem to understand the physics. Here is a 2B throw to 3B. The physics for a cut-off are more similar to what a DP ball would be for a lefty 2B. An infield hit is more similar to the lefty SS throw to 1B. As you can see the 2B has no problem catching the ball and throwing to 3B. No somersaults involved.

Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock

Please refrain from personal attacks of this manner, it will make the forums better for everyone. Thanks.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
It's okay to debate things, but let's avoid calling people names.

At some point, if your ideas differ, maybe you have to realize you're not going to convince the other and it's just time to move on.

Thanks,

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

I have no idea what you are using for your data source

Baseball Reference has fantastic box scores. They provide much more information than almost any I've seen. For anyone who likes details, I highly recommend them.

I'm certainly not going to waste hours of my own time just to try and teach some moron with a learning disability.

You shouldn't degrade yourself about that. You can't choose your genes.

Regarding the clip you linked, your analysis and "physics" are wrong, but you've proven time and time again there is no reason to try to explain anything to you. All you do is deflect the facts and throw insults, so I won't even bother with this one.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL. I figured you were reading through box scores. Big waste of time.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page