Help

Forum >> Help >> Left handed middle infield... say what??   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
VI.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Somehow, after making cuts and getting some free agents, I found out a bit late that my projected second baseman and shortstop both throw lefty. First, I never really knew that these types of player existed, but will scout for righties only in the future for mid infielders. I am at level 6, will this absolutely kill me if I start these guys? I have been looking for middle infielders I can afford in this rebuilding project, but the pickings are slim. Oh, and my SS second position is third base...
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
At LL VI, no that will most likely not kill you. It will hurt more and more as you climb the levels and higher percentages of teams have fewer weaknesses though. It really depends on whether another team in your division looks poised to make a run, how you manage the players you have, and pure luck.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I was forced to use a LH SS a few seasons ago. All I noticed was a decrease in double plays, albeit the sample size wasn't too large.
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
VI.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the feedback.
gladziu

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Guys, How about LH C?
How it will affect action during match?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The East and West winners in Legends last season (Orlando and Thunder Bay) both used LH throwing catchers as their primary option last season. Didn't seem to hurt too much (Myers threw out 37% and made no errors, Lang threw out 30% and made no errors), tho both players had skills well suited to the position.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
From the Game Manual / Rules:

Short Stop: The short stop (SS) position is the most difficult defensive position. They will field a lot of ground balls, line drives and pop ups and the distance to first base is long, so he needs a strong arm to make the throw to first base. Hence, the short stop needs good fielding, range and a good arm. Additionally, it is helpful to be right handed.

Steve
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
About right-handed catchers,
Obviously most of them throw with their right hand. I suppose its a benefit when there is a RHB at bat cos otherwise batter would block his throwing lane to the 1st or second base, right?

If so, is there a benefit for left-throwing catchers when the batter is LHB ? In case of throwing to 1st and 2nd base, not 3rd.
Gambler75

Brockton Bombers
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry if this is slightly off topic but seemed semi-related - does the engine simulate players pulling the ball towards their strength?

It would make sense if lefties pull the ball (more 1B/2B plays), and righties do as well (more 3B/SS). Until recently I had 5 righty starting pitchers ... and facing a ton of lefty stacked lineups - it seemed like there was a tiny % more plays going to my 1B/2B as opposed to my SS/3B, but it's close enough it may be just pure randomness rather than the engine actually dictating more plays towards pull-side. Did Steve ever mention if the engine takes that into account?

Updated Saturday, March 25 2017 @ 5:37:15 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball

From the game manual:

Throws/Pitching: which hand does a pitcher or fielder use to throw or pitch the baseball. See note above about hitter pitcher match-ups. Also note, most infielders tend to be right handed with the except of the first baseman, who is often left handed.

Steve
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
I was wondering if it might be helpful to be left-throwing 2baseman in some cases. Yes, am totally aware of the basics of why handedness in defense tends to be how it is, but do the leftie-throwing 2-baseman/1-baseman do better in brokenbat if throwing to 3rd base when runner advancing there?

Updated Wednesday, November 8 2017 @ 11:59:19 am PST
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
VI.15

Broken Bat Baseball
In real games, second baseman would make the easy play at first instead of attempting to throw runner out at third. Plus , turning a double play would need to be quite the acrobat if lefthanded.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
No, you always throw out the lead runner. If there are men on 1st and 2nd, you always throw to 3B unless you don't think you will get the throw there on time, or you think 2B will lead to a double play and 3B will not. If you are charging in for a slow ground ball, you are probably throwing to 3B. Baseball is very situational, as someone who played 2B, I can tell you, this is a rule all 2B are taught to follow. Only little leaguers go to "the easy" base, because they might screw up a simple throw.

Also, a lefty making the throw to 1B doesn't require any acrobatics at all. Its a pretty simple throw. No more difficult than a SS throwing to third. Regardless of if you are lefty or righty, the typical DB ball has you running towards the OF, catching the ball, reversing direction, and throwing back to 1B. You might save a few milliseconds as a righty, but its not the big deal people make it out to be.

Updated Thursday, November 9 2017 @ 4:51:36 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

No, you always throw out the lead runner. If there are men on 1st and 2nd, you always throw to 3B unless you don't think you will get the throw there on time, or you think 2B will lead to a double play and 3B will not.

That may be Broken Bat ball, but that is most definitely not MLB. There is rarely a force out at third by a thrown ball. The play is at second or first unless something weird happens.

Edit--I just went through the first 40 Royals games from 2017. There were 30 instances with runners on first and second with less than 2 outs that had a ground ball put into play. In none of them was there a throw made to third base for an out. 23 times had the first out recorded at second (some were double plays, some were not). 6 times they simply made the play at first. The only time an out was recorded at third was on a ground ball to the third baseman and he recorded the unassisted out there.

I see no need to continue the research. It's basically exactly what I thought it would be, which doesn't resemble Broken Bat results at all.

(As an aside, there were 11 instances of ground balls with the bases loaded and fewer than 2 outs. None of them resulted in a play at the plate. This is, again, vastly different than Broken Bat. It's things like this that drive me crazy here.)

Updated Friday, November 10 2017 @ 4:20:51 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its all situational. It depends on where you are on the field when you field the ball, and where the runners are. You will always throw out the lead runner unless you don't think you can get the throw off in time, or you think you can get the DP. No doubt, that is the situation you are seeing as it is fairly common. Your "research" isn't accounting for any of the information that a 2B takes into account reflexively before throwing to a base. No major league 2B is going to throw to 2B just because it is a "easier" throw.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Let's see, in a quarter of a season there were zero throws to third for force outs. I don't think it's necessary to consider the "situation". It's obvious they don't throw to third for force outs. Find any MLB team that threw to third even 5% of the time for a force out and the case can be re-opened. 5%. It should be easy if what you say is accurate. Good luck.

Updated Friday, November 10 2017 @ 6:59:49 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Because most of the time you have a good chance at a DP when there is a force at 3B. But not ALL the time. Depends on the situation. And when the 2B throws to 2B for a DP chance, he ISN'T throwing to 1B for the "easier" out. That is just plain wrong.
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
VI.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Perhaps I should have said make the "easier"
out at first. In real baseball, the runner at second base typically has a substantial lead which makes it even more difficult to throw him out going to third. You would also have a very difficult time trying to take the throw from the shortstop at second and pivoting to make the double play. In this game , I understand left-handed 3b ss and 2b exist and incur a slight defensive penalty, but I doubt there are ANY left-handed fielding second basemen or shortstops in MLB.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its really not as hard a throw as everyone is making it out to be. As a righty you have to spin to your left. As a lefty you have to spin to your right. Its the difference between a 75 degree spin and a 105 degree spin. A tiny bit more time, but not really that big deal.

And with runners on 1st and second with no outs, if its not a double play ball, you will most definitely throw to 3B (assuming you can make the out there). Its just that most hits to 2B are double play balls.

Priority is:

DP -> lead runner -> where ever you can get the out.

With a slow runner on 2B or ground ball you are charging in on, sometimes you can get the runner at 3B but you would not be able to get a DP. In those situations you would always throw to 3B rather than the easier out at 1B. It is also incredibly common for the 2B to "check" the runner on 2B (with no runner on 1st) before throwing to 1B. If the runner is going, the 2B sometimes try to throw him out and forgo the runner at 1st. Otherwise "checks" would be useless.

Updated Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 1:48:12 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
BTW, I apologize if I sound testy. I just get a little peeved when people who never played 2B try and tell me how the position is supposed to be played. T-ball -> high school, I've had plenty of time to learn the position. Most of these things are just second nature, and you don't even think about them when you are on the field. I've also played with lefty infielders before, and although they look a bit awkward, they performed fine. Its more that we just aren't used to seeing them. That's why people giggled when Mattingly played 3B, even though he played the position perfectly fine.

Updated Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 1:56:13 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not telling anyone how to play a position. I'm saying how MLB infielders actually play their positions. The proof is in their results.

About Mattingly, since we're considering his monumental amount of work at third (18 innings), we might as well support his error free duty at second (one third of an inning, no chances). Heck, he even played 8 innings in center, which is more frightening to me than him playing anywhere in the infield.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Click on the link. Its Mattingly turning a double play at 3B. And no, he is not doing gymnastics. Also, giving stats for 40 attempts, is hardly proof of how major league players play the position. I'm telling you how they play the position. Yes, there are going to be more plays to 2B and 1B, but its not because its the "easier" out. Its all situational.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I never said they do what they do because it's easier. I simply said what they do.

Also, saying Mattingly turned a double play in that clip is a bit disingenuous. He fields the grounder and throws to second for the force out. The middle infielder "turns" the DP.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Don Mattingly only played 3b a few times in his entire career. I believe it was only 3 times in 1986. He was not a full time backup at 3b and was only used at third out of desperation. Left throwing 2b, 3b, and ss are only used in desperation in high level baseball. If a fielder is your most athletic and best defensive player, and is a left handed thrower, he or she may be a better option in lower leagues than a righty.

I was always coached to go to 2b with less than 2 outs and take the easier force with 2 outs. I was never told to go third when playing 2b for a force play. This was because the runner on second is leading off and it is a longer throw to 3b. The only time I was told to check the guy at 2b with 1b open was it had to be less than 2 outs, late in a close game and I was in postion to have a clear throw to 3b on a hard hit ball directly to me. With bases loaded, I was always coached to go to second with less than two outs and take the easier force with two outs on routine plays. If charging a soft grounder, I was told to go home if I could beat the guy coming home. The only exception to routine plays is less than two outs in the 8th or 9th inning with the tying, go ahead or winning run on third coming home was to go home on forces only. I was coached to go home on non force plays if it was the bottom of ninth and the guy on 3b was the winning run. Basically I was taught to take less risks the more time our offense had to hit.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If the winning run is on 2B you aren't throwing home, you are throwing to 3B. Of course you take the "surer" out with 2 outs. Why throw to 3B, when the runner from the plate is always going to take longer to reach 1B and its a marginally safer throw. But there are situations where you will throw to 3B just like you described. If the situation calls for it, you throw to 3B, you don't just take the "easy" out at 1B with 0 or 1 outs (unless you are in little league and your coach is reasonably skeptical that you can make the throw).

Its not really "desperation." Its just that lefties are weeded out of the infield by the time they hit college. Not so much because they can't play as because baseball is full of superstitious fools. The point of the Mattingly link was to show that a lefty can play defense fine. Not to claim he had a lengthy defensive history at 3B. He is turning a DP in that link. Does it look like its hard for him? No. Because its really not the big deal people are making it out to be.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just to play Mike's game for a second.

Bunts account for less than 2% of at bats. Since Mike doesn't consider an action relevant if it happens less than 5% of the time, bunts are obviously not something done situationally in baseball. Right? If you find a team that bunts more than 5% of the time the case can be reopened. It should be easy. Good luck. LOL!

Updated Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 4:28:07 pm PST
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
VI.15

Broken Bat Baseball
It is not superstion, it’s reality that lefthanders do not play every position
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The reality is that left handers do play all positions. Until they get to college and superstition kicks in.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You said yourself that an 105 degree turn by a leftie takes slightly longer than the 75 degree turn a righty makes. At a higher level of competition, I know I would want every advantage possible. A righty who makes a quicker throw is definitely an advantage over a lefty. This is probably why coaches at college and professional levels chose righties over lefties.

Updated Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 9:05:54 pm PST

Updated Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 9:07:40 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Do you really think every single manager in MLB is so superstitious that they refuse to make their team the best it can be? There have been many teams who have bucked traditional wisdom because they think it improves their team. There's more to it than superstition. The game is about winning. They'll all do anything they think is necessary to accomplish that.

Just to play Mike's game for a second.

Bunts account for less than 2% of at bats. Since Mike doesn't consider an action relevant if it happens less than 5% of the time, bunts are obviously not something done situationally in baseball. Right?

Again, you've missed the point. I never said players never throw to third for force outs. I said it's extremely rare. It's common here, which is where the problem lies. The same goes with force outs at home.

Why don't we combine our challenges? You get to pick any MLB team in any year you choose. If the ratio of bunts to thrown force outs to third is less than 10:1, you win. Name the team, year and wager and we're on.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Dan6176 you are correct, there is a small advantage, and at high levels, teams take every advantage possible. But that is really my point. If you read these boards, you would think lefties are simply incapable of fielding a ball and throwing over to first, which is ridiculous. Maybe a righty throws out 2% more runners than a lefty. That is enough that major league teams are going to look for righties. So high school coaches will encourage lefties to play different positions if they want to have any chance of making it to the pros. The point is the difference is minimal. But everyone here wants to make the difference large just so that people playing the game will feel compelled to use righties so its similar to the real world. That's fine, its just ridiculous when I hear people talking about how lefties need to perform acrobatics to throw the ball over to first.

You saw the somersault Mattingly needed to do in order to throw to 2B right? Essentially the same as a left handed 2nd baseman throwing to 1st.

Updated Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 9:19:43 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Mike If that was your point, then you never actually read this thread. First time anyone has mentioned frequency of throws to 3B in the engine. The original question the spun up the conversation was Motko asking if lefty 2B had an advantage throwing to 3B, and mjhack saying that 2B doesn't ever throw to 3B.
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
VI.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, show the quote where I said a second baseman NEVER throws to third.
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not going to read the thread. i'm just going to say when i was in college i was asked to play a pick up game, so we drove from la to clovis. Their CF played college ball, and played an inning or 2 at SS against us. Twice, we beat out throws on grounders hit in the 3rd base hole. I can't speak for every lefty.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@mjhack In response to Motko's question you said:

In real games, second baseman would make the easy play at first instead of attempting to throw runner out at third. Plus , turning a double play would need to be quite the acrobat if lefthanded.

Not sure how else to read that response. If you intended to say "sometimes" the 2B throws to 1st instead of 3rd, then it was a pretty irrelevant response to the question.

As I have explained several times. It is all situational.

Runner on 3rd (and two outs) >>> Runner on 1st and 2nd > Runner on 1st and 3rd >>> Runner on 2nd and 3rd.

So the DP is best. Then getting out the lead runner. Then throwing to 2nd and missing the DP. You would never throw to 1st base unless you can't get anyone else out (or its 2 outs already). Leaving two runners in scoring position is the worst possible outcome.

Updated Sunday, November 12 2017 @ 7:43:22 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@nobodyjones I've beaten the throw to first from right handed SS's hundreds of times.

Plus OFs usually don't throw correctly in the infield. They are used to making long hard throws and they are usually inefficient in their release. And if he didn't frequently play SS, he would not have a good feel for timing. That comes with experience. Throwing is done differently at pretty much every position in baseball. It isn't really interchangeable.

Updated Sunday, November 12 2017 @ 7:40:57 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

The original question then spun up the conversation was Motko asking if lefty 2B had an advantage throwing to 3B, and mjhack saying that 2B doesn't ever throw to 3B.

I'm not sure how you don't think it's relevant to talk about force outs at third when there's a question about players getting advantages for force outs at third.

My point is really simply--there shouldn't be any thrown force outs to third, period. It virtually never happens in major league games and should be taken out of the AI. My guess would be it occurs at a similar frequency as triple plays. (EDIT--I just looked up triple plays. MLB has averaged about 5 a season, which is about twice what I would have guessed. That being the case, I bet there are more triple plays than force throws to third. Admittedly, that is just a guess.)

I've now gone through the first half of the 2017 season for the Royals. There were 50 instances of runners on first and second with less than 2 outs where a batter hit a grounder to an infielder. In none of those plays were throws made to third for a force out. Zero.

Updated Sunday, November 12 2017 @ 9:13:08 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wrong. It does happen. Maybe the Royals just suck. Just stupid to say it should never happen in the game, or that it never happens in the majors.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

It virtually never happens in major league games and should be taken out of the AI.

I cut people slack when English isn't their first language, but I'm fairly sure that doesn't apply to you. That quote is directly above your post yet you still continue to get it wrong. Maybe you don't know what the word virtually means.

By the way, for the Royals games I am looking at the entire game, not just the Royals defense or offense. That means it hasn't happened by either team during those 81 games. Since you are so certain it happens somewhat regularly, why don't you provide 5 examples during the 2017 season by any team? My bet is there aren't that many for the entire season.

They almost never happen, so they shouldn't happen here either.

Updated Sunday, November 12 2017 @ 11:19:31 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL, I have no idea what you are using for your data source, but I'm certainly not going to waste hours of my own time just to try and teach some moron with a learning disability.

For everyone else who doesn't seem to understand the physics. Here is a 2B throw to 3B. The physics for a cut-off are more similar to what a DP ball would be for a lefty 2B. An infield hit is more similar to the lefty SS throw to 1B. As you can see the 2B has no problem catching the ball and throwing to 3B. No somersaults involved.

Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock

Please refrain from personal attacks of this manner, it will make the forums better for everyone. Thanks.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
It's okay to debate things, but let's avoid calling people names.

At some point, if your ideas differ, maybe you have to realize you're not going to convince the other and it's just time to move on.

Thanks,

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

I have no idea what you are using for your data source

Baseball Reference has fantastic box scores. They provide much more information than almost any I've seen. For anyone who likes details, I highly recommend them.

I'm certainly not going to waste hours of my own time just to try and teach some moron with a learning disability.

You shouldn't degrade yourself about that. You can't choose your genes.

Regarding the clip you linked, your analysis and "physics" are wrong, but you've proven time and time again there is no reason to try to explain anything to you. All you do is deflect the facts and throw insults, so I won't even bother with this one.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL. I figured you were reading through box scores. Big waste of time.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Surprise, surprise, you're wrong again. Did you even look at box scores at Baseball Reference? They say how the ball is fielded (groundball, line drive, etc.), who fielded it, and where the play is made. It also gives even more detailed information on certain plays, like which gap balls are hit into. It's too bad you don't know how to use good info. Maybe you could learn something. Then again...

Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Can we make a pact that nobody will ever start a left-handed infielder thread again? I'm tired of this topic. It skips like a scratched record.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, like I said huge waste of time. Going through each game one at a time and counting plays. LOL.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Let's give this thread a rest guys. It's turning into every Facebook, reddit, or youtube comment thread I've ever seen. You're better than that, and so is broken bat.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

I'm tired of this topic. It skips like a scratched record.

Comments like this always crack me up. Why are you reading something you don't want to read? It's like people complaining about all the politics on television. Here's a novel idea--turn it off.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Glad I amuse you, but once Steve says something about an argument and the participants ignore him, I think it becomes a community issue. Add to that that this is probably the third iteration of this exact same argument, I also think I have the option to be tired of it.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm with Haselrig here, let's give this a rest.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 If you’re going through Latest Posts, it makes threads like this a lot harder to miss. At that point, they become that obnoxious commercial that you can’t quite tune out without turning off the radio. I’d rather not turn off the radio by not visiting the forums, thank you very much.

Furthermore, this isn’t just about being tired of an argument (and let me firmly side with Haselrig on that front). Is “ur st00pid lol” “NO U” really the face we want to present to new users showing up to check out the forums for the first time? Speaking as a moderator on another forum, I would have locked this thread days ago if this nonsense had happened over there.

If anyone involved in this insists on resorting to schoolyard tactics, take it to private messages and save the rest of us from needing to try to tune it out in the first place.
GrizzlyDan

Atlanta Braves
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
END OF DISCUSSION

Also, if you need more: THIS

Now back away. 10 points off for ad hominem.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not sure where you are going with that link Grizzly, but I would agree that it seems funny we give them a fielding penalty instead of just a DP penalty, which seems to be what that first article is talking about. No errors made by any of the lefties playing 3B.

Previous Page | Show Page |