Help

Forum >> Help >> 1st season follow-up   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
So, gotten through my first season, just about. Gotten my team onto a first non-losing season since 2042, and might have a decent pitching rotation now. So just wanted to ask for a little input on two things, here as the season draws to a close.

1: Lineup. I think I've got my optimal 9 batters figured out (Except for SS, but all my options there are kinda trash on offense), but I am very unsure if the batting order is right.

I think I know the strongest bat, but he's 4th because I have three people who are great at getting on base, so I'm perhaps a tad aggressive there. Would love to get some pointers as to lineup generally, maybe (If someone has the time) some comment on the batting core I have. I'm mainly worried I'm making it too rigid.

2: Ronald Bishop. Pitcher and supposedly the best I have. Was starting for most of the season, but I finally lost patience with him down the stretch. Can anyone see any reason for why he's doing so erratically? He should be at least semi-decent, right? Am I just using him wrong? He goes less than 2 innings per run on average, but his WHIP isn't terrible.

Is it just that he's been "very cold" basically all season apart from a month in the middle where he was just "cold"?
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
So, about Bishop. Stick with him, he’ll become a star and he’s having a bad year, plain and simple.

About the lineup, it looks pretty good. For the SS thingy, try and find a guy who will “be amazing in the field” with high POT for the time being. Like my guy Redman, who has 8 HIT, amazing everything else, 107 SI, 14 POT. People like that are solid .220 hitters and at LL VI, they won’t make much of a difference. It’s a very promising team you have there, much more talented than mine.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Bishop looks serviceable. I don't think he is your best pitcher, but he looks like he can contribute. The biggest issue with Bishop is that he has no dominating tool. 14/15 across the board. So he'll give up hits. But he has good control, so his walks aren't bad.

I think WHIP is a good measure for a pitcher, but one of its weaknesses is that it treats walks and hits equally. Walks are actually not as bad as hits since they only ever give up one base and advance runners one base at worst. Hits can be more devastating.

So his WHIP may be a bit deceptive. At the same time his hits haven't been bad. A bigger issue is his HR rate. He gives up kind of a lot of HRs. Basically trading HRs for BBs will keep your WHIP low, but not your ERA. I think he can be a contributor on the team, but I would not expect great things.

Updated Saturday, January 23 2021 @ 8:45:13 am PST
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Bishop reminds me of my guy De Smet. He can throw forever, has 16/17 all around so he gives up some HRs and hits, he does well but it’s about on par with Bishop.
timothy

West Fargo Turtles
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think your lineup VS LHP looks great. The lineup VS RHP is trouble, though, when you get to the last four batters. They're not getting on base very much. If you want Villa in there because of his arm, that's understandable, but I don't think it's good to have a guy like that hitting as high as sixth in your order. Ideally, he could hit behind players that were providing more offensive production at RF, SS, and 3B.
timothy

West Fargo Turtles
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
(Villa against LHP, on the other hand, is great and could maybe even hit higher in that lineup.)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I disagree that 14/15s is equal to 16/17s. And I wouldn't expect similar performance.
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
I mean, I see your point on Villa v. RHP, but the trouble is, he's that high because everyone below has been even worse hitting this season. I have... Like... 5 good hitters, 1 pretty good (See below) and then 3 spots I need to fill, and vRHP I've had a duff year.

Except Phillips, but he's more like a backloading to get more people on base later down the innings.

NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree Rock, but De Smet is still posting similar numbers to their P.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think De Smet is a little better. But reality is, with scouting error, its actually possible for 14/15 to be better than 16/17 ;) I just don't think that is the case here.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page