Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Closer Save Ratio   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
My current closer has really frustrated me the past 2 seasons but am I being unrealistic to expect better? What ratio of save to blown save would you consider average or good?

Rafael Montalvo the last 3 years:
2027 52 S, 7 BS, 88%
2028 20 S, 6 BS, 77%
2029 30 S, 9 BS, 77%

His ERA has also jumped way up but am I expecting too much if he is converting 77% of his save chances and I feel he is doing poorly?
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't worry about save conversion all that much. To me, that's just a indicator/byproduct of whether he is pitching well or not. Just because a CL isn't getting saves doesn't mean they are a bad pitcher; it's actually probably the least useful stat in that table. I would evaluate Montalvo just like any other pitcher:

1. His BB's and K's dropped this season, never a good combination especially for a reliever.
2. He gave up a couple more HRs.
3. His BAA is up almost 30 points from last season.

I notice you had him start a few games. Do you remember how they went? Maybe those really skewed his numbers. Overall he looks similar to last season, possibly just a bit worse with the BB's (which can happen if he's left in too long). The big drop in performance came when you promoted to LL IV, which should be expected.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the feedback. He actually pitched very well when I moved him out of the closer role and in as a SP but I just didn't have better options.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page