Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Is this prospect I've held onto for 6.5 years a bust?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I ended up putting Saavedra back in AA for the rest of the season (59 games). He's gained 2 SI this entire season.

I'm debating whether to stick Saavedra back in the minors next season or whether to try him in the majors. My current SS (Medina) is great with a glove, but lousy with a bat. I'm debating replacing him internally with either Saavedra or Moreland - I don't think either will put up *worse* offensive numbers.

Moreland doesn't have great batting, but I feel like he's trained as far as he can be in the minors. I don't like sticking him at SS with that fielding... but when I run the numbers he should develop OK given playing time.

If I do that, I can buy another year for Saavedra in the minors in AAA.

It's frustrating that he's just good enough to not cut him, but frustratingly slow development.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Moreland is ready for the majors. You might suffer a bit with that ss, but he actually did pretty well in the field this season. I wouldn't expect him to repeat that performance though. On the plus side, they do gain position experience a little faster when they play games in the majors. So its painful, but possibly somewhat rewarding.

I can guarantee you that Saavedra needs more time in the minors. If you can buy him another year it is probably worth it. Biggest issue being he really may never pan out. His growth rate is pretty disappointing. 21 points in 6+ years is pretty sad... Never would have imagined that guy would bust with 70 SI as a 19 year old. I do think there is still an outside change (depends on growth curve; late bloomer?), but his risk climbs the longer he lingers in development.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
On the bright side González has already grown 3 SI. That is pretty good for an 18 year old player. Most players grow slowly until they hit 20/21.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Rock - that more or less matches my view of it. I'm going to give him another year and let Moreland take over as my starting SS. At the end of next season, I'll either put him in in place of Moreland or cut him loose, depending how the two develop.

They are both competing for the same job, so only one can stay long term. At one point I was confident in Saavedra and almost cut Moreland... now I'm glad I didn't.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
RE: Gonzalez - *AND* he has 10 SB in 46 hits (that were not triples or HRs). Hopefully he keeps that up!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
One last thought on Saavedra. Players are not maxed out in their position experience when the get the capital letters. The letters listed first on their cards are the positions they have the most experience in. And remember, they lose experience over time if they don't play positions enough. Saavandra is currently best at 3B, but probably fairly marginally staying above the line in all three positions. If you know which position you will want to play him in if he makes the majors, I would focus all his experience next year on that position. I'd definitely take him out of the OF. Most players can't really maintain more than two positions once they get to the major league level.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting - I had thought once they had the capital letters, they 'knew' the position. I've been training in 2-3 positions across my minors system for years for flexibility at promotion time. Maybe that wasn't a great strategy!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
When Steve first created the ability to train in other positions, the players would only play in the positions you set them to in minor league games. I had a guy I trained up to a 2B, SS, 3B, who ended up being 2b, ss, 3b by the time he hit the majors LOL. Now the AI is smarter and plays guys in the positions they know to help them maintain, but they can still lose experience AND capitals isn't the max. Training some guys in 3 positions isn't horrible, just don't expect to maintain them all at a high level. Even if one or two slip to lowercase in the majors, they still provide flexibility. The position experience works something like this (notional):

negative...........0(nothing)...............ss...............SS...............max (no graphical indication at max)

Its even possible that there is no max. All we know for sure is that capital is not fully learned. Also lowercase can be just one step away from capital. The capitalization just lets you know approximately where they are in their learning. If you drop from capital to lowercase, fielding ability won't drop dramatically, because it is all a continuous vector with sublevels (think 0-1000).

Updated Friday, July 7 2017 @ 8:31:59 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
You really think where they play their minor league games matters? Figured minor league games were just for show/fun. Whatever maintenance occurs comes from your setting.

Anyway. Piggybacking the thread to talk Bresciani. He's gone from cleanup to 7th to 7th only against lefties too ... I think back to AAA this week. I can't just sit him b/c my manager thinks he's the best RHB on the bench.

Would you cut him? His .270 12 HR season is looking like the fluke rather than the true talent I had hoped.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My concept of what it's like to compete in Legends is practically zero, so I'm hesitant to give recommendations, Seca. Here's what I'm willing to say though:

* I'm slowly warming up to the idea that players can for no team-based contextual reason just have a bad year (or two) but come back from it. But I'm only buying into it slightly.

For me this years it's been Pardo and Lohman roaring back after a couple of down years. Were those two previous down years because in the background, lurking deep in the sim engine, something was giving them an off year? Or is the more likely and reasonable answer that there was a change in league dynamic that caused both of those players to come back hard this year?

All that's to say maybe Bresciani can come out of it next year, which leads me to...

* I find it slightly interesting that his pattern of walking more than striking out didn't start until 2030 (even looking in the minors). I'm guessing his PD finally caught up around that time? Regardless, he's maintained that pattern of more walks than strikeouts this year.

Without looking at the league closely — and because of the zero knowledge of Legends I previously mentioned — are any other similar players having a down year on your team? Do you think it's player, league change this year, or a mix of both?

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page