Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Lou Morgan [ID #104404]   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
How is this guy a free agent? How did he pass through waivers? How can this guy be unwanted by 756 teams?

I know the obvious answer but....

He's 28. He can field his position well. 2B. A key defensive position. His OBP is very respectable. He appears to hit LHP well.

Sure he's not sexy. He doesn't hit for power, he doesn't steal bases, he'll probably hit between .200 and .250 if used in a starting role depending on the league.

I find it hard to believe there isn't a team out there that could use a solid 2B who can get on base.

Or maybe that's just me.

Edit: Ooh I forgot to mention. He can bunt. Which means for the right team he might be an excellent #2 hitter. A guy that can take pitches, draw walks and move runners along.

Edit 2: Screw it. I'll take my own advice. I signed him to a contract. 😉

Updated Sunday, June 18 2017 @ 8:48:46 am PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with you completely. The reason I couldn't consider him is because I have this guy at short. There's no way I could have a middle infield where the second baseman and shortstop have a COMBINED 16 hitting!
Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I see the appeal to some people, but the obvious answer is that he can't hit. I actually probably could have used him as a backup 2B if I had the roster space, but nah. I'm not going to pay 2.35 mil for a backup 2B that's gonna hit .220 with a low ISO to boot. Sure, he'll draw a walk occasionally which will keep his OBP at or slightly above .300, but I'm gonna pass on an above average defender with an OPS of ~.625 and a salary of 2.35 mil. Not worth it in my humble opinion.

Then again, that's why we all like this game: different team building philosophies.

Edit: To be fair, you are absolutely correct that he had no business being a free agent given his age. Plenty of VI and V teams could use a guy like that and plug him right into their lineup.

Also, he does seem to hit much better against lefties, so if a IV or III team were weak at 2B Morgan would be a decent platoon option.

Updated Sunday, June 18 2017 @ 9:42:19 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page