Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> Precipitous Drop in "Fan Mood"   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 to Mike's idea.
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
-1 to Mike's idea, mostly because I wouldn't like adding additional negatives for anyone. It sucks enough to be relegated without suffering extra Fan Mood penalties. I just don't want the situation like Rohnert Park's to cause Fan Mood collapse.

I re-read my pseudo-code in the top post and still support it. The easiest solution is just to have playoff games completely exempted from Fan Mood. Or possibly both teams get a uniform bump of some kind for promoting regardless of how the playoff series goes. Lots of easy ways to fix this, even without an overhaul.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You can't give points without taking them away somewhere. It doesn't make sense to penalize a team for winning their division and losing the playoff. That makes them worse off. The only reasonable thing is to penalize teams that get relegated. And face it, a team that gets relegated loses fan mood in real life. Do it here, too.

Updated Monday, January 13 2020 @ 10:08:35 pm PST
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Why exactly can't you give points without taking them away somewhere? Sure you can.

These are baseball fans. They're happy by definition because they're watching baseball.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's the same principle as rating--the loss and the gain from every game MUST balance each other out. If you only add, all become elevated over time. That would basically be inflation. Rating and mood changes are and must be zero sum events.

I did think your last statement was funny, though.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This interaction exemplifies how I perceive some of your ideas for the game, hurstdm. From my perception, you have a tendency to strongly favor making aspects of Broken Bat much closer to real life baseball. And the idealist in me empathizes with you in that regard. The realist in me, however, lets loose a soft sigh.

Much like the ideation of making catcher training more like real baseball, I see a similar approach to "they are baseball fans." You want the current problem to be fixed by a more idealistic approach to the game, perhaps without being reminded that it is in fact a bunch of code turned into a game, which has to be balenced.

Where Mike and I seem to agree is that we're still actually playing a game, replete with programming, and calculations, and numbers, and perhaps even algorithms. Making games involves significant elements of balance in order to make it more fun. Sure, the overall game loses some realism in the process, but those compromises and tweaks, the gives and takes are in the name of keeping a player base interested in the game. Mike is saying, I think, that much like the U.S. approach to the economy (albeit not a game to be played, unless you're a wacky stock trader) there's inflation to be dealt with, and one way to deal with inflation is through both up and down adjustments.

Updated Tuesday, January 14 2020 @ 1:00:57 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't follow fan mood very much in the game, but its possible your thinking of it in the wrong way. I don't think you can compare two teams and assume that the team with the better record (in real life) has better fan mood.

If you are a Patriots fan, you consider a lose in the playoffs (even the Superbowl) to be a devastatingly poor season. If you are a Lions fan you consider consider a .500+ season to be a huge success. Fans have different expectations for their teams, and fan mood can swing wildly in real life too.

Not saying the algorithm couldn't use some work. But fan mood isn't a simple linear graph.
El jefe

Urbana Cubs
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's true Rock, however when your team sucks for 10+ years and you have a great season to get promoted to the next level, your fans are going to be ecstatic regardless of the playoff result. I think there has to be a bump for promotion that offsets any negative from a playoff loss.

E.g., last year in D5, I sold out almost every game at 27K. This year in D4, I've had a lot of games with around 29/30K. I would have expected the attendance bump to be a lot higher, but my fan mood was destroyed after losing in the D5 playoff last year
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Double huzzah to everything the Cubs just said! Steve, take note!
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I've got to bump this thread again for a RIDICULOUS example.

The Bloomington Thunder just won the Legends League East. They led the league pretty much wire to wire and finished with 99 wins, 8 games up, with a +208 run differential. They lost the playoff in 5 games.

The Thunder's current "Fan Mood" is 98.86. As counterpoint, the Moo Cow "Fan Mood" is 113.52, but we finished the Legends League East in 4th place and 16 games back. As further counterpoint, the Minneapolis Tigers are being relegated out of the Legends League in 5th place, but they have a current "Fan Mood" of 104.03. Just one more example, the New Britain Cubs are relegating out of II.1, but their current "Fan Mood" is higher than the Thunder's at 101.80.

Bloomington's fans are less happy than these fans?!? RIDICULOUS! Please fix this, Steve.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page