Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> Precipitous Drop in "Fan Mood"   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I first added this in the "Help" forum. Now I think it's more of a bug.

The Murfreesboro team hasn't had a losing season since 2026. I took over in 2035. I created a press release that year to commemorate our (momentarily) best "Fan Mood" in the game, something like 150+. Since then, Murfreesboro was promoted to League V. The team won 94 games there and stayed in 1st place literally all 2036, then they were just promoted again. We went 7 amazing rounds in the Cup competition.

Inexplicably, I suddenly seem to have a Fan Mood around 89. We went 9-11 for October of last year, but were in first place the whole time, playing rookies. We lost our league championship series 0-4. Is that the only explanation?

Another disturbing data point: Three of the four teams relegated from my league last year all have a "Fan Mood" currently equal to or higher than mine (Pirates - 90, Beavers - 89, Crusaders - 90). There's no way this is working as intended.

Are the fans really that unforgiving? Why would the team get a sub-par, below average Fan Mood rating after being promoted twice in a row and making a great Cup run? What is there to be upset about? Losing a playoff series? That's brutal and capricious. I bet it'll also really hurt my finances this year.

I feel like this has to be a bug. My fans should be ecstatic. It's demoralizing and unrealistic.

I'll take this post a step further and daydream/suggest a pseudo-code system for Fan Mood:

* Average Fan Mood should swirl around 100.

* The code checks/alters a team's Fan Mood after every game actually played by a team

* Points are added/subtracted after every game for position in the League, not for wins/losses. Something like +1 for 1st place, -1 for 6th place, and all the shades inbetween (+.6,+.2,-.2,-.6).

* Points are added/subtracted after every game depending on which League the team is in. Fans prefer teams in Legends League and get bummed about League VI teams. This affects Fan Mood more subtly. Something like +0.1 for Legends, -0.1 for L.VI, and all the shades inbetween.

* Points are added/subtracted after every game played to bring a team closer to the average (~100). Teams with a high Fan Mood are always pulled down. Teams with a low Fan Mood are always pulled up. Every game, this pull is something like (150/Fan Mood - 2) Getting an accurate average Fan Mood score of ~100 might be achieved through adjusting this formula.

* Points are added for playing knockout stage Cup games (+1?) and Playoff games (+1?) - never subtracted. Teams playing deep into the Cup will get a small boost after every game played. Teams achieving a playoff at the end of the season get a small boost after every game played. If a Cup series goes 3 games or a playoff series goes 7 games, the teams are rewarded with this slight extra boost.

* No points are added/subtracted at the group stage of the Cup.

* Points are added when events occur that add Prestige. A Cup win or any Championship trophy win will increase the Fan Mood by a significant amount (+10?).

* (Optional) A team's Fan Mood is increased slightly (+1?) for every all star selection, all league selection, rookie of the year, MVP, and Cy Young.

EchoBravo34

Sioux City Catfish
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it is because you released a bunch of players. I think fan mood drops when you release long serving players. The fans are sad to see them go. I would defer to others, I could be making this up, but I've noticed strange drops like you experienced before and found correlation with release of veteran players.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Losing in the playoffs, especially getting swept will take 20 points off your fan mood easy. Fortunately fan mood doesn't really matter beyond being a factor in your attendance.
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's another data point. In 2036, for League V, the Moo Cow stadium was 27,500 and we maxed it out almost every time.

We lost in the playoffs and dropped from a Fan Mood of around 120+ to less than 90.

I expected to modify my ballpark to hold 32,500 (+5000) or 33,000 after promotion. When I saw the precipitous drop in Fan Mood, I set it at 31,500 instead. I've had 9 home games in League IV. I'm averaging around 29,000 customers.

If I assume the drop in Mood made me lose 3,500 tickets every home game (32,500 - 29,000), that's around $50k in revenue every game. Multiply that by 80 home games for a loss of around $4M from what the Moo Cows expected this year. That's a serious chunk of change, and a strange penalty.

It also can't be the intended result of a team getting promoted but losing in the league playoffs. Feels like a fixable bug.
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Time to mention this again.

The Rohnert Park Rebels have a current fan mood of 85.98. That's bleak. Not "average" fans. Not restless. The Rebel fans are clearly unhappy.

Why would they be unhappy? The team was first place in League II last year. They're being promoted to Legends for the first time in team history. The fans should be ecstatic, right? Nope, they're miserable because the Rebels were swept 0-4 in a 4 game playoff at the end of an otherwise successful season. The Farmington Hills Cardinals, relegated from the same league as the Rebels, have a higher Fan Mood right now. Redonkulous.

This could and should be fixed. Perhaps the Fan Mood system should be overhauled as suggested above?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree. It is absurd. Unfortunately the game ramps up the value of playoff games. I imagine the idea is to make sure the winner is bumped up significantly. The problem is it's a zero sum system, so the loser drops like a rock.

I just had an aha moment about it. Each level winner should get a standard increase no matter how many games are played. The negative impact should be split on the two relegated teams, not the team that lost the playoff.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page