Announcements

Forum >> Announcements >> Proposed new cup format...   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Cup Games [New Format]: The cup is a competition, separate from league play, that is open to all teams. All the teams from an association will be invited to the cup, but seeding is random. There are two stages: a group stage and a knock-out stage. In the group stage, all the teams will be divided into groups of six teams and play 4 games against all other group members. The best teams will advance to the knock-out stage. In the knock-out stage, teams will play a best-of-three-game series against opponents, in a single elimination style tournament. The number of participates for the knock-out stage varies by association size, but in the USA with 756 teams comprising 126 groups, a total of 256 teams will advance to the knock-out stage. The winner of each group will automatically advance to the knock-out stage and then the at-large teams will be selected by record and run differential to fill out the rest of the bracket. Please note, cup results will have no affect on league standing, but will result in a larger cash payouts, happier fans and more prestige.
colegiadodelfinesniza

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I am totally fan of it!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I hoping that having a group stage will keep people involved in the cup a little longer. Right now, more than half the teams (those eliminated in round #1 and those that don’t make the cup) are gone by the end of the first round. Yet, it will still have the excitement of the knock-out stage.

Steve
brianmathews

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like it.
marceo

Wingrove Crossing Bears
VI.25

Broken Bat Baseball
good idea!
Goliath

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Mi like it very much.
the.Stroy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
sounds awesome!
Heathcoat

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sounds good
candycane

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I support everything that has to do with playing more cup games, so, I support this. It's a great idea.
Jebou

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
great idea! Why not
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I’m glad everyone is enthusiastic about the cup format change. I’ve been simulating it and it’s ready for next season.

One additional feature is that the schedule will change such that the cup series are always on the same days of the week – probably Monday and Friday.

Steve
bfy222

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
One thing I have noticed with the new cup format is in the group stage it seems there is a lot more potential for a fatigued rotation with all those double headers and fewer days off. At least in the old format if you swept the first two games you had a day off after.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
It depends on how you look at it.
Previous schedule was Cup Double Header, Cup Single Game followed immediately by a League Game (except for the first round). Now the schedule is Cup Double Header, Cup Single Game, Cup Single Game followed by a Day Off. So really, you’re still just playing 4 games in those 3 days.

Of course, in the previous cup format, since most clubs where gone after a round or two, they got all the cup games off – so lots of time to rest.

Steve
bfy222

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is not entirely true. There are a few instances where the day off is before the cup games on my schedule. Maybe this is a bug then?

For example, from May 4th thru May 20th I will play 18 games in 17 days.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, I see what you're saying. Let me look into this.

Steve
alabama1

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
like this
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
Who knew it would be as big as it is now?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How did you find this? Talk about necro, this thread is from before I played... impressive.
Ty3

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i need a team
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Am I missing something...this just seems like the same format with more teams in the knock-out stage?

I think if it changes, it's more likely to be a bit like the tournament in Hardwood, whereby there are several cup tiers.

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Am I missing something?? It sure seems like Steve is responding to a post that doesn't exist. Hearing voices or seeing things? I think Hardwood must be banging his head.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I was kinda wondering that, too, especially since the original post was in 2012, then necro’d first in 2017, and then once more a couple of weeks ago. o.o

Previous Page | Show Page |