Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Round #1 2031   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Welp, my draft luck seems to be slipping down a hill. Each first rounder is a little worse than the last. I guess his ceiling is an effective offensive platoon 2B?
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
It's been a while since I got a guy like this in the first round... Now please, develop well!

rodeo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just got my future ace 16 POT!!!!!!
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

I can't believe I drafted a 109 SI pitcher...and question that he can play. Good grief, his defense would be awesome at short. Can I train him there and put him in as a defensive sub? Oh, wait. He's a lefty. Disregard. It's going to take me awhile to figure out which shocks me more, the 109 or that he's probably nothing more than a League VI pitcher.

Yuri and rodeo with the first two studs of 2031. Big time hit for rodeo. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the very best of the year.

Updated Saturday, February 18 2017 @ 12:41:33 pm PST
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I've always had poor first round luck, but this year I had the choice of a poorly built 'good' and the rest were above average or worse. 10 pot in the first round, doesn't bode well.
Deuce

New London Rippers
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
nice 14 pot this year http://brokenbat.org/player/148946
Switch him to 3B i think
aggroshaman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I see studs are already being drafted!

Managed to snag a 13 POT Starter, not thrilled about his control but he should be a good one.
Raze

Azusa Toyo Carp
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Drafted a 14 potential future C. Murray, will be a decent catcher with a 17 arm.

Updated Saturday, February 18 2017 @ 1:07:51 pm PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I actually shuddered when I read Mount Vernon's manager's name.

Disappointing first rounder for Waterloo. No very goods to be found. Lad we drafted has the same old problem. Decent speed transalates to 15 but only 9 range. Sooner or later I'm going to clue in the range almost invariably low balls when its good potential.

This guy could he a decent DH, but I have a half dozen DH types already. Likely gone the moment I need a roster spot.
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball

I'm just thankful his name isn't piratewarrior or dragonpriest... now that would make ME shudder. :D
Shyfire

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I got this guy http://brokenbat.org/player/148961

pretty good build but sadly a 1B, a position I am way too crowded at...
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/148962Nice grab. Love the arm not sure he should stay at c with that speed though. RF possibly?

Updated Saturday, February 18 2017 @ 1:16:52 pm PST
Hatleyville

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Seca, my first round pick has a very similar build to Feller...I was expecting a little better with the 'Very Good' tag, but oh well

http://brokenbat.org/player/148921

Updated Saturday, February 18 2017 @ 1:18:13 pm PST
aggroshaman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

LOL! Aggro shaman is the best :)

I'm just thankful his name isn't piratewarrior or dragonpriest... now that would make ME shudder.

Maybe I'll change my name now!

Updated Saturday, February 18 2017 @ 1:18:37 pm PST
Raze

Azusa Toyo Carp
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@Noodle, looks very much like my guy. I'll play him at C or RF/LF, depending on what I need.
xLee227

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Only one guy with "very good" potential, only he didn't turn out to be that good after all haha.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
After scoring huge on rd 1 last year, didn't get the SS I was looking for, but I did get a 12 potential bullpen pitcher.

Updated Saturday, February 18 2017 @ 1:39:58 pm PST
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/148981

My annual dip into the Asian posting league netted me a decent looking pitcher - overall there was three 'good' prospects - a 1B hitter, this pitcher, and another with 'good fastball/limited innings'.

<edit - just me playing with the links!>

Updated Saturday, February 18 2017 @ 3:55:26 pm PST
Mesh77

Palo Alto Invaders
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Had awful choices, think I had three "never be decent hitter" guys, and two more with no potential at all, certainly no very goods.

C&R and move on.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Terrible options here too, no very goods either.

Worst first rounder since my debut season but at least I had the excuse of not knowing what I was doing back then.
Krakonico

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Got Marcos "Negrito" Prieto, seems a latino born in USA, as per his name and last name, I think I will keep him, being POT 13 can do something in the bullpen.
DemBois

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
got a pretty good pitcherhopefully he develop well
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Zilch very goods in mine. And guess what I drafted another pitcher. Again almost half of mine were pitchers. I can't seem to find any decent batters. And usually there's good pitchers so what do I do. I have 14 pitchers in the minors and 8 batters.

Btw I really like the build of my draftee. Not much in fielding. But I wish there'd be more potential

http://brokenbat.org/player/148973
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I had three very good pot players to choose from today. I went with Rene Ladd . He's a solid switch hitter that I can play at 3B or C. Solid start to the draft.
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball

Updated Saturday, February 18 2017 @ 4:57:55 pm PST
tokuchi

Smyrna Sounds
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
My first first draft pick today. Two "very good" reports, both for pitchers. Chose Alfred Skinner, a 13 pot. Not impressive, but pretty decent.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
14 POT 17 year old pitcher. Noice.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 So just on a lark, I decided to go International for the first round. All of the pitchers had control issues, the only “very good” would never be a decent hitter, and none of the “good” guys looked like what I was looking for. So I took a chance on an “above average” and wound up with the amusingly named André Andre. He’s no 2030 first round pick, but he ain’t bad.
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I drafted Shannon Nicholson A 14 potential 17 year old future starting pitcher from The High School draft pool.
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Was going for a shortstop, but still got my first baseman of the future: Leonard Harada. 22-year-old college player with very good hitting, amazing fielding. Rutgers alumni I hope to see playing on the big league squad by 2033. 14 potential.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Very nice pick with Andre (3 thousand?) Andre ...
You thinking 3B or ???

I went International too ..
Killing me Smalls

23 year old in rookie ball ... killing me.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I had 5 "good" players to choose from. Decided to go with this guy. Could be a decent player, but I don't have the space to try him out right now.
msigg6

Bay City Lions
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/149101

What happened to the phrase "Asian is a great pool in the early rounds!"?

Man, I'm going back to where I know best for round 2.

However I am happy with my pull. I get the Bay City Lion prototype closer--bunch of Velo CoS and Control and little stam and movement.

Let's see if he pans out.
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/149030

Just starting my second season and got my first POT 14. Offensively, could be a stud but despite a report of "can be amazing in the field", he has a range of 10 and arm of 7. Sounds like a 1B to me.

Updated Saturday, February 18 2017 @ 9:34:37 pm PST
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Awesome last name, better than it looks statline thanks to a crummy fielding skillset...

Given no very good potential guys in the full, I'll keep this one.
GullyFoyle

Spokane Wolves
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Only one pitcher this week, and no one would have wanted him. Narrowed the four goods down to two Outfielders, and in the end chose http://brokenbat.org/player/149144 because he had the better slugging. Not an exciting pick but at least he has 13 potential.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Since I was moving yesterday, I got my first pick today. I would have liked a pitcher, but I took the only very good on my board (none of the "goods" sounded better anyways). Not bad, but still can't get a guy who hits for average AND power. Also, his defensive build is next to useless, very unfortunate.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I drafted this polished, asian league player who is 25: http://brokenbat.org/player/149175

Should I put him on the majors immediately, or leave him at AAA for a season? He's probably already one of my better hitters, but I don't want to stunt his growth.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The issue with drafting 25 year olds is that you can't see their recommendation. Looking at that guy, I would assume he already has all his minor league training. I don't think he will stunt in the majors. I think that is where he belongs.

EDIT: Although he does not belong at SS. I would stick him at 1B or DH.

Updated Sunday, February 19 2017 @ 8:21:51 am PST
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Love my first round pick. 1B of the future Larry Sterling
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
well, i got only a very good player and the goods weren't so exciting, so i picked him.

Tygart

I think he'll gonna be a decent spot starter or long reliever, but nothing more.

If i took him on 4/5th round i'd be happy, on the 1st round he's a bit meh but i'll keep him.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I had two 'Very Good' draft options, and ended up with David Kinder.

The other was a 21-yr old short stop with a good fielding report, but no speed comment (so potentially no range).

I'm very happy with Kinder. He has a good enough defensive skillset to play as either a plus LF or a slightly week-armed RF, or potentially a slightly low-ranged CF.

Projection wise, if he caps out his scouting report, he will still have 21-29 points to spread between PD and BC, which means he should be a solid all-around bat.

On the downside, he has ~35 SI to gain (so 4-6 seasons) before he has a chance to crack the major league roster.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@BrianV, I really like him as a corner outfielder. He looks like my ideal for LF or RF tbh. Probably slight edge to LF, but I wouldn't mind him in RF if you lack better arms.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I picked up my first 14 pot in 29 rounds. And I did want a middle infielder. But no fielding rate makes that suspect. Additionally he's a LHB which I wasn't looking for but he appeared to me to be heads and tails the best prospect on my board. I suspect he will be an offensive stud.
GrizzlyDan

Atlanta Braves
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have in my possession a future LF/DH that will make pitchers cuss.

Kenneth Armstrong

Kenneth the Clouting Canuck from Calgary, welcome to the bottom rung of my Minor League system.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@newtman - yeah, that's my thought as well. He's also the first player for my 'next generation' of position players.

My minors system feels a bit stratified. I have a lot of 22-24 years olds in the system that will take over from my current position players. At 17, Kinder is probably a replacement for one of the replacements in the high minors - two generations of prospects away!
Squiddcatt

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@grizzlyDan I have a guy like him too just older and possible Latin Curse.
Jren7

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Drafted this 17 year old first

http://brokenbat.org/player/149100

Does he have the arm to play 3b or should I move him
Since he is only 17 I have some time for him to learn another position
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Jhren -

It depends on what other players you have in you minors. He seems like a fine 3B, but could also work as a 2B.
Jren7

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya I have no 2B in minors right now but since he already has a Capital 3B I'll just trail him at 2b
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya drafted nice 2b

http://brokenbat.org/player/149094

Is that the best position for him, thx
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball

Love my first round pick. 1B of the future Larry Sterling

Is that nickname a misnomer? ;)
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Did anyone get the breakdown of players by pool? My screenshot has vanished.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
2031.png
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/149004
Future 14 POT Right Fielder. Good college player that I could play at catcher.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks, Haselrig!
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I remembered to grab one this season :)
DatDude

Boston Americans
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/149003
Quality First Baseman/DH
Jren7

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What pools have the best players to draft or should I just do any player
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Depends upon what you're looking for usually, but given how badly you need talent take your pick.

I find College and High School the most reliable, but Latin can be just as good although the variance tends to be wider IMO. Asian produces some majors-ready players but thins out quickly, and International is a lottery for the most part.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It doesn't matter a whole lot in terms of 'quality'. The talent is scattered pretty randomly. In general though, the smaller draft pools (like the Asian posting) will get cleaned out of good players faster simply because there's fewer of them. My advice is if you're going after one of the smaller pools, go earlier in the draft rather than later but even that is subject to how aggressively the other owners are fishing in that pool so to speak.

Where you should make a consideration is age. The Asian posting system is generally older players who are usually just about ready for the bigs. College is 21-22ish year olds - some more development needed but generally solid. High school is young players who might spend 5+ seasons in the minors before coming up. The Latin system I think tends to be on the younger side as well but i don't recall specifically. The "World" players are all over the place from abject Rookie to Ready to start stud.

If you have a team that's loaded with talent, it's probably better to get younger players and make a plan for working the better ones in. If you're team is pretty sparse of talent, you might choose older players if you want to see some more immediate success.

There is zero advantage to tanking. None. The draft is first come, first serve, regardless of record.
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So I have this guy

http://brokenbat.org/player/143132

Low fielding, does fielding matter much at C

Just to inform u that the reason I went and signed this guys is cause I needed him cause I'm low at C in minors, I placed a waiver claim on another 23 year old catcher which my hope is that when he starts to decline, this guy will be ready if I a not able to find a better C
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
jreynoldson913,

From what I have learned poor fielding a C is much less of a concern.

Makes sense as to why you would want to pick up a C.

Just thinking that you may be able to get another 18-20 year old free agent with a good arm and train him at C. Currently there are some free agents with good arms that have "good" potential. I see that your player only has "above average" potential.

It's up to you of course, but I might look at some players like these,

http://brokenbat.org/player/146085
http://brokenbat.org/player/147139
http://brokenbat.org/player/145591

If you want to have someone who is all ready a C, then there is

http://brokenbat.org/player/135146

Of course there is all ways risk that any of these will not develop in the minors and nor make a good player, but they have a better potential rating than your player currently does.

I do not know how long these players will remain free agents but some of them were free agents for long periods of time last year. You may be able to find more players like this that you can try to convert into a C until you get a better one in waivers or draft.

Updated Wednesday, February 22 2017 @ 12:39:02 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Bangor didn't reveal their pick, so I decided to do it for them. He has an oddity about him that I've never seen before. It probably has happened, but I've never seen it. Did you notice it? He's the first "good" player I've ever seen with a 15 overall potential. Nice catch, Moose!

Updated Monday, February 27 2017 @ 1:16:07 am PST
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Mike - I haven't seen that before, either (and didn't see it until I read your post through). Perhaps another new quirk to the game? I guess the 'good' as opposed to 'very good' potential also reflects the fact he's a Gold Glove CF without another position and average bat? Although that might be reading more into the game than the programming dictates.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
They've been around since I started playing at least. This was one of my first waiver wins. We was a 15 POT Good: http://brokenbat.org/player/87134
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I feel bad for Bangor. One of the worst POT 15 builds I've seen. I'd feel obligated to keep the guy because he is a 15, but always know that I really should be cutting him.

EDIT: I'd probably make him a SS despite being LH because otherwise he minds well be a POT 13 OF with all that SI wasted in fielding.

Updated Tuesday, February 28 2017 @ 6:27:26 am PST
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think he'll have a good eye as PD and BC fill out. Could have a decent on base pct for lead off spot. That is a great CF build.

Updated Tuesday, February 28 2017 @ 9:09:44 am PST
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think he could be a rock star as a CF. I wouldn't say he's wasting fielding in CF. He'd be closer to a 14 as a CF with bonus fielding. He'd probably win gold gloves too. Might have an 11 or 12 hit tool. With power and good OBP. If he can steal with that speed he'll be explosive. I like explosive guys that can field their position in the middle.
I've had explosive guys like Pablo Sanchez, Angelo Juarez, Kyle Rice. They're a bit unpredictable but I like them. I'm also happy if nobody else wants them. Each one of the guys I listed I picked up because someone else cut them.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have still never pulled anything above a 14 POT since I started playing this game a few seasons ago. I would be happy with a poorly built 15 POT just to say I pulled one.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I haven't pulled one yet either, but I'm happy getting a nicely built POT 14 ;)
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Most garbage 15 POT ever. No hitting scout, above average slugging, plus quick plus lefty throwing amazing fielder equals a guy that will never hit.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I've drafted two 15 POTs (the first of whom came up at the very end of last season), and landed another three off waivers.

But if you're landing 15 POTs off waivers its usually because they suck:-
Lopez disappointed at every turn and lost 1pt off Range and Arm after I got him.
Kokawa looked to me like a bargain, 87 SI at age 25 and good report. Should probably have had more PT in his rookie season (all of it? And more after) but not like he's set the world on fire at any point.
I won Olivarez last spring but he skipped AA and didn't get much PT in AAA, and will have to play in the bigs this season to have a chance.

One man's poison is another's...poison? The two guys I've drafted OTOH look like sure studs.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I've released two 15 potential players up to now. I haven't regretted either.
http://brokenbat.org/player/88177

http://brokenbat.org/player/97532
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I've drafted 5 15s.

Alex Crespo - love him
Mel Harada - cut him, no regrets, he just didn't fit my club
Charlie Jansen - the only pitcher on this list. AAA. Very excited about him.
Rob Santini - AAA. Future 3B.
Ben Thacker - jury is still out on him.

I'm just as excited about some of my 14s, 13s and even a couple of 12s. It takes a village in this game.

Edit: I just drafted a 15 today. I like the look of him. Would like to have seen a little more range.

Updated Friday, March 3 2017 @ 8:41:24 am PST
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I have drafted 141 times since i joined this game, and took 8 guys with 15 pot (plus one 16 pot), all bats and no pitchers, and of those 9 guys only one didn't have a positive hitting report (Bailey)

However, 15 pot doesn't mean authomatically star player (if we're talking abount bats), sometimes well built 14 pot guys (even 13 for some position like C or 1B) are better than 15, especially for Left throwing guys with a lot of fielding points.

Previous Page | Show Page |