Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2030 Spring Training   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I just had a guy throw 146 pitches, which is about 100 more than I wanted. Just trying to give the guy some training experience, but the game is trying to rip his arm off. I guess I need more minor league pitchers.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
On the plus side, he will have gained a lot of experience by facing more batters. And as long as his arm didn't fall off during that game, there are no real lasting negative impacts (other than maxing out his fatigue).
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You must not have had any eligible pitchers to come in that situation to replace him. Spring Training tends to get people a lot because they don't think to change their management settings specifically for the ST roles.
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The bullpen was a little bit fatigued, and I am trying to keep the pitch count low in order to include a lot of players, but I didn't see all of the little minuses in the fatigue column.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
My future ace had 12 K's in the first ST game today and that resulted in a win. :)
Garnet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I just had my young 20yo 14 pot through 160 pitches... gave up 15 runs too.
My bullpen was fatigued and the ss had to come in for the 6th even though I have a 6 man rotation. At least my bullpen got to rest.
600 pitches thrown / 36 runs against against over 3 games! My guys are getting some good experience is the way I have to look at it. And I am looking forward to Friday's SI bumps.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I actually started a 32-yo pitcher last night because all my young arms were showing signs of fatigue (and he got lit up, LOL). ST is all about the experience, count me among those who don't give a hoot for the actual score.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Dinos have 2 position players moving up from the minors to the big team this season. Hoping they have decent springs to carry some karma along with them. After 9 games:

Nava .389/.415/1.165 with 3 HRs.
Sims .368/.385/.937 with 4 SBs.

So far, so good.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Two times through the six-man rotation and my guys are still pitching brilliantly. For the entire staff we have a 2.13 ERA, .197 BAA, 0.945 WHIP and only 5 homers allowed.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
0-for-spring

Or 0-for-30 if you like. I guess its all part of the learning experience!
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's a question...

What is more important in sprng training for hitters? Is it just plate appearances and at bats, or is PA/AB and games played?

I'm asking because I didn't get quite the bump in SI I was expecting for my hitters in update #1. Everyone that counted had between 30 and 44 at bats and similar levels of DIP (the one guy who played 9 times at DH actually gained in Fielding). But I stopped using substitutions this preseason and just rotated starts through all my players - the fact that managers don't swap in the guys you list for each position really annoys me, so I didn't do it.

I doubt games played comes into it, but I am wondering.

Updated Friday, December 16 2016 @ 6:18:25 am PST
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
There was a thread with spirited arguments made on each side by two BB vets. One said you needed (ML) AB's, the other said you just need to be on the roster. Granted, this was working on ML exp gains, which I believe ST is just the same.

Don't be down because of lack of pops. Gains are measured in percentages of points, not whole points. Likely your guys went from (ex.) 8.3 hitting to 8.9 hitting. Since we see whole points displayed, you only see 8 points last week and 8 points this update.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The factor not looked at in this thread is that remember that even though the decimal spot is invicible, it is still there. amalric, didn't you have a pretty amazing update #10 (or was that someone else) in 2029? If a bunch of your guys gained a lot in the last update of the previous season then that likely means they had to gain almost an entire point to pop again. I had only a couple of pops for training update #10 last season, and naturally none of those 5 guys who did pop then gained anything in this update despite two of them getting heavy playing time.

Edit: I guess Snowflake mentioned it. Also, Snowflake, Steve has said that being on the ML roster gives experience, it is just a marginal amount of it. Thus a guy doesn't need to play to pop, but he does need to play in order to actually reach his full potential because the pops will take a very, very long time.

Updated Friday, December 16 2016 @ 12:31:47 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I thought being on the roster and not playing only gained Training. I'm pretty sure that's the case. The only factors regarded for Experience are PA,DIS, and BF. That's the reason Steve added them to the Latest Statistic page, so we could see how much experience individual players were gaining each week.

In another Thread Steve had mentioned that player on the major league roster still received Training, just not at the same rate they do on minor league rosters.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks both for the reminder, I guess I was getting a little greedy after last season's first training update, which was 44 gains and was certainly exceptional (for me). At the same update in previous seasons I gained 23 in 2027 and 30 in 2028 (under a good development manager), so last season's (even allowing for it being under an excellent development manager) was almost certainly an outlier. Maybe I'm in line for a little more next time, maybe not, but perhaps I need to have more realistic expectations anyway. :) That 44 was also 16 higher than any other update I had last season, and even though I expect the first update to be the highest that was still high.

I remembered my update #10 last season was around 20 gains but it was 15, which was still plenty good (by comparison I gained 10 in 2027 and 9 in 2028; I have 19 recorded for 2026 but I'm doubting that now, though I did have just 11 the week before at update #9 then, which was when I started keeping track, so perhaps that evened out too). Of the twelve players who made gains at the end of last season four also made gains today - but none of them in the same category.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That is normally the case. "Pop" is a very deceptive term. Steve has stated that players skills are not on a 0-20 range. It probably something more like 0 - 2000. Player advance slowly in each skill. When the number goes from 1249 to 1251, we see the 12 "pop" to a 13. So even if you had low gains on a guy, his "pops" might indicate otherwise.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@amalric, I had 5 total skill pops in update #10, which is 10 less than your 15. In this update I had 41 skill pops while you had 30, 11 less. We are gaining roughly the same amount over the last two updates which honestly is probably still too small a sample to judge growth rates properly.

@Rock, yeah, I guess it was training gained on the bench, but I don't think Steve differentiates between the words training and experience the way we do either, because I think he did say it using the word experience once.

Edit: Then again I am very tired right now, so I may be completely mistaken.

Updated Friday, December 16 2016 @ 4:49:08 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
No, I think you are right. The terms Training and Experience were devised by the community. They are probably different that what Steve has in the code (and in his brain).
HoHoTDoG

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
wish Lloyd was ready for the majors, i need a guy who can get on base for the top of my lineup
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just keep a watch on the recommendations. He'll probably be recommended some time this year.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock: Steve does differentiate between the two. At least in the manual, anyway.

Training: is primarily gained in the minor leagues and is especially effective for younger players. Even in the majors, the some training is gained. Players will get training in all categories, but a team can select a primary and second training focus for its players. These categories will receive additional training during the training cycle.

Note: training occurs weekly on Friday morning (Pacific Time).

Experience: is gained while playing in the majors and to a limited extent in the minor leagues (ie. Playing in spring training games). There are several ways in which experience is gained: with each at bat for hitters, with each batter faced for pitchers and with each inning played in the field for positional defense purposes.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Cool. Steve must have added that to the manual recently. That was all speculation before, so its nice to see it confirmed in the manual.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Not sure what you define as recently... it was there when I joined. :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm surprised it was in there for that long. I still remember when we were batting it around in the forums as a theory.
Bill3789

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Congrats to Cesar Saenz of Clearwater for the complete game no-hitter against us yesterday. Just one error short of a perfect game.
ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
With disappointing pitching and only two batters putting up respectable numbers, it's no surprise we've posted a winning percentage below .300 during spring training. Good thing ST record doesn't mean anything. Hopefully my young guys got lots of good experience.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@quanin, Rock and I probably last referred to the manual for direction well over a year ago, we mostly refer others to it now since I have the old version of it practically memorized (as I'm sure Rock does too). If you dig far enough back in the forums (2014 or maybe early 2015), there were discussions between several of the long term members speculating the existence of training and experience separately. The community has gradually pried more info on how the game works out of Steve piece by piece over the years.

Previous Page | Show Page |