Off-Topic Forum

Forum >> Off Topic >> American Football Sim   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Only two spots left in the BB invasion league over on MFN There's seven or eight BB players in league MFN-47 now. Season flip is less than a week away, so it's a good time to join. Get in before we figure out how to play :)
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I want to but would have a couple people unhappy with me if I added a game right now. How long are the seasons? I might like to join in a year or two.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Only been there for the end of the regular season and the playoffs, so I can't really say how long a full season lasts. The pace seems to be a bit slower than BB, though. Phillies has played the longest, so he might have a better handle on it.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah i have no idea what im doing over there :P
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
It's got a learning curve for sure :)
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
A learning curve with a derivative at x=me equal to infinity
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The two biggies are the salary cap (which makes you appreciate the simple salary model BB uses all the more) and Volatility.

For BB players, it might help to think of Volatility in the same way we have scouting reports/hidden attributes for draft picks here. It's just a mechanic to keep the drafts from being a simple pick'em of the most most talented players straight through from top to bottom. It adds uncertainty and the need to put some thought into your picks.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
One spot left...
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I popped in an took it :)

Tennessee!
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hooray! We’re taking over!
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm in with Minnesota
Unfortunately, the site is totally mobile unfriendly so I won't be doing much
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Been in since the end of the regular season. Really like the customization in terms as what you can do to build your team the way you see fit. *Hint-hint* :)

Ie., you can hire coaches to run the types of plays you want your team to run, not just stuck with choosing the best coach available. Heavy run, West Coast, etc. for O and 4-3 Blitz, 3-4 man, etc. for D.

I'm just now customizing my playbook based on downs, yards to go, position on field, personnel, etc.

Btw,
J-e-t-s, Jets, Jets, Jets!
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I took Jacksonville.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
If I start a private league will there be enough interest to justfy me spending the money it takes to start one? It'd need to be half filled for the simulations to run.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Original note

I have started playing MFN as well. I am using another user name over there. Was thinking about joining MFN-47 if another team became available.

Yes count me as interested - I would very much like to join for your private league if you get enough people to join.

( EDIT UPDATED NOTE: see my next post below about what I've more recently just learned about possible serious MFN gameplay issues that may cause me to walk away from the MFN game. )

Updated Friday, November 24 2017 @ 12:42:01 am PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Since I'm not entirely comfortable asking somebody to shell out money on my behalf, I'd be for staying in our current league and posting here when there are openings in hopes of ending up with a mostly BB league.
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I would be happy to join a private league with fellow bbers.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Sure, I would switch to the private league if it got created.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd play both leagues if one got created
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If one was there, I'd play but I don't want to suggest anyone should spend money just to make it happen. I'm curious to see how the one we are in will go.
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
After reading several of the posts in the forums for MFN recently, it sounds like there are a lot of issues with gameplay. For example, i've read that if you want to be successful on offense, all you really need to do is throw a lot of long passes and you will have enough success not only to win, but win big. There aren't enough quality CBs out there to always play M2M, and I've read that in zone coverage, most of the DBs are slow to react, making the bomb approach successful.

I also read that if you run the same play an excessive amount of times, that there is a certain penalty that the system will incur. That said, it is suggested that the penalty is not enough to discourage heavy use of that team's primary play or two, and it will continue to be used.

I also read that defensively, if you choose to be a heavy blitz team, as in 90% of the time, that you will likely find success.

The game sounds intriguing, but after reading some of these comments, I could easily find myself walking away if faced with teams that want to play that way. "Strategies" like that are not strategies at all, and would really make all of the player/coach/playbook analysis a waste of time.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I had a lot of the same concerns when I started digging a little deeper. A lot of "gamey" tricks that will threaten my suspension of disbelief.

There are a lot of really well-done aspects of the game. Draft's been fun. The whole personnel side of the game feels very authentic. Trades are amazing. Have yet to play a game I was invested in with my gameplan and my personnel, though. Have to see how it holds up.

Somebody has a 50 overall QB drafted in the 7th round who happens to have the magic attribute and he drops 1000 yards on me? I might be out. These games are hard to make. Harder to get them right. That one does accept people's money, so I'm going to a bit harder on it if it has too many holes.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@12twelve @Haselrig

I am yet to play a game in MFN myself also. But during my first draft over the last couple days I too am seeing the same issues that you stated.

Speed seems far and away the dominant attribute on offense and defense. Yet in the draft there is more fast WRs and only a tiny amount of fast CBs and other defensive backs.

This could be a fatal flaw in the game design. There is just not enough fast CBs to go around. And experienced players in MFN say that speed is supreme in that game.

So depending on how things turn out, I too may stop playing the MFN game if this fatal flaw becomes an issue.

Updated Friday, November 24 2017 @ 12:40:03 am PST
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Me too ;)

I read the same tutorials as you all did, obviously.
And share the same concerns.

I noticed some of these tutorials are referring to different game engines. Both old, current or in beta test.

How it affects our league, I haven't the faintest!

However, looking at last year's stats, the league was overwhelmingly RUN oriented. IIRC, 20+ RBs over 1,000 yds. Whereas no QB exceeded 5,000.

I also read there "was"? an issue about KOR, but looks like a things of the past.

Let's see...
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Reading through the forums, the game balance looks really ridiculously off. Plus the playbook thing looks needlessly complex. I'm not sure I'm going to stay here long-term.

One thing that bugs me are the strength and speed stats. I've seen QBs with 97 strength and OLs with 12. It should never be like this.

Updated Friday, November 24 2017 @ 1:30:48 pm PST
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
FYI, the San Fran team opened up if anyone is interested
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
That's got Steve written all over it :)
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Cactusguy21!

I took the San Fran Team.

My user name over there is: "yardbyyard"

Happy to join the MFN-47 :-) - still learning a lot about the game and really don't know what I am doing - but I hope to learn!

I will give the game a chance to see if the gameplay will work or not.

Updated Saturday, November 25 2017 @ 8:57:02 pm PST
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The Atlanta team is now available, and it looks to be a pretty good one too.
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm already bored with it. Been on for a month and only two pre-season games. Takes way too long. Plus the forums say it's basically worthless to try and run the ball, sped is everything, throw bombs all the time and you'll win, blitz all the time and you'll win. Doesn't seem realistic and the veteran players all know the loopholes. Don't know how long I'll stay wth it.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I think I’m done with it too. Disappointing. Had potential.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I've actually taken most of the blitzes out of my gameplan, I was getting burned on them on passing downs. In 19, I'm beginning to run the ball pretty effectively (5-2 now) and the top team also is the best running team.

At first I did have a lot of long passes and blitzes called, but it was pretty ineffective.

It's a petty detailed oriented game. Sure veterans know the ins and outs, but they also have tailor made teams.

Still not a perfect game, I agree. Looks like sustained success is signing good young players to low base salaries with big bonuses then using them to acquire high draft picks when those deals are up.

The sim does need to run a bit faster too.
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
things move so slow and not much has happened in the month I've been on. I don't have the time to dedicate to analyze every detail like seems to be required to be successful. and with the time it will take to build up a quality team, at the pace it moves, is not worth the free time I have. I'd rather dedicate it to BB.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm really annoyed by the level of complexity, especially since each small detail can have catastrophic effects on your team. Probably won't stay.
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
VI.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Just took Atlanta for heck of it. May keep me involved since fantasy football winding down with playoffs. Loooks like a lot of details as mentioned. Will look at big picture first and work my way down
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmm, never posted here but I took Oakland about the same time everyone else joined. So far its intriguing and I've made subtle gameplan changes here and there. The draft and offseason have been enjoyable and early season hasn't been bad at 2-2.

Aside from the other issues mentioned here, I've noticed something in other leagues that hasn't come up in MFN-47. I took on a couple of more teams after a week or two in, and in one of those leagues I missed out on a whole bunch of possible free agent signings when someone gazumped my bid just minutes before the deadline that day - and the deadline is the same time every single day (which is the middle of the night UK time). RZA at least has randomized cutoff times for bids. If this continues I may move on too, but for now I'm sticking.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
We may want to resuscitate the project of a BrokenBat only League, which found not enough participants to start, using an idea posted on the groups in MFN:
The limit would be using ONLY the recommended gameplanning.
It may be enough to scare long term owners off.
Competition would be on team building only.

Of course, by now there are people, like me and others, who went thru multiple teams and drafts already. So the playing field would not be equal anyhow.

Any interest?
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd be willing to give that a go.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm up for it. Even though I like the game planning, I could still just hire a coach I like. I agree it may scare off owners, which is a good thing.

BTW, Frank, I had to quit that new league we were in together. I couldn't take the kid running it anymore. Come on over and join NFL Live. Allocation draft soon!
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I would gladly get rid of gameplanning, too complicated.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@everyone

Is there any way to make drafted players more volatile in a custom league? Because I'm really tired of how worthless mid-to-late round picks are in this game. For example, I recently got likely the best possible scenario with one of my sixth-round picks. Meaning he is up to the mid-60s. If we could make drafting much, much more volatile, than that would make me very happy. Otherwise, idk, I'm still on the fence.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Very undecided. I've got a lot on my plate right now. Not sure If I have my as enthused about starting a Brokenbat league right now.

The way it's was looking we would have only had a half filled league anyway. That's be no fun.

Previous Page | Show Page |